Saturday, March 27, 2010

I have this song playing in my head for the last 2 days... When A Man Loves A Woman...God! its romantic. Overly so. But I'm not writing about that now. I just wanted to share that. When my computer is up and running, I'll try to post that here as background music...love love love.

I saw an old man yesterday peddling icecream on stick. I remember it was scorching hot, given the summer and the El Nino going on and I planned on staying in my room all day to avoid Mr. Sun but I needed to buy prepaid credits so I dragged my lazy ass off bed. Now here I saw Mr. Icecream Man, sitting under a tree, waiting for some mother of a child to finish her noon-time bath so she can pay for her childs purchase. He looked at me with his sweet tired smile and I thought, hell! how could he smile to me like that? Here I am getting pissed about the weather and wishing I was anywhere near the beach while he walks all day under the heat of the sun wishing he get to sell enough to put food in his plate. Thats perseverance to the highest degree. And I was deeply shamed for being too whiny and for complaining about living such a hard life while there are people like him who barely even get by and whose life had been and still is way harder than mine but can still afford to smile at petulant strangers like me. All I had on me was 20pesos which I gave him and he humbly accepted and he insisted I take one of his icecreams. i don't really eat those just because I don't but I didn't wanna embarrass him so I took it and we said our thank you's. I wish I was able to do more. I pray that he would live a better life very soon because he is old and maybe he don't have much time but I hope does and because he deserve to live better.

I told Jule about the old man who nearly brought me to tears... and heres what he said.

Jule: Okay, so you saw a dirty old man and you liked his icedrop. How about my icedrop? Dli naka ganaha?

WTF! He's lucky he wasn't anywhere near or i'll choke him with a telephone wire which I don't have.

Anyway... Mr. Icecream Man sure reminded me that life isn't fair but God has ways of rewarding us and He gives us loads according to our strength and that He blesses us differently. That old man may not be blessed with fortune but he is blessed with a lot of perseverance and determination and not a lot of people have that. Lets count our blessings and when we get the chance...share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment